[mrtg] Re: Bandwidth Utilization questions

Henry Steinhauer h1steinh at hewitt.com
Wed Aug 23 23:29:19 MEST 2000

What I would suggest -

1 - Track the number of bytes moved over time, not the Utilization value.
2 - Remove the divide and multiply -
     As an aside, if you really needed to divide by a constant and then multiply
by 100 (which is also a constant), why not just  do the math once and divide the
constant by the other constant ?  That way you do not run into other issues with
scaling, or interger math.  (I suspect you are running into interger math issues
but the other suggestion will avoid that issue).

3 - Remember that the Full Duplex is 100 Mbit in Each Direction.  And ONLY 100
Mbit not 200 Mbit in  either direction that needs it.

4 - These changes would then require you to remove the guage option and the
nopercent option.
     The Percent would still be shown on the HTML pages so you could view that
if you like.
     You can then use the Bits option to show the Bytes in Bits if you like.
     --  In the current case, Bits has no meaning -  Bits of Percent Busy ?  The
Bits will take the value and multiply by 8.
          Most people know how big their files are in bytes and not in bits. but
this is just a sore spot in my analysis.
         I can talk with more people about the number of bytes being sent and
keep them listening if I show them the number of bytes per second.
         If I have to transalte for them from Bytes to bits, then I lose them.
They get that eye glaze look.

5 - I have found that over time, people tend to add more . . .  to the line
Maybe next year it will a Gigbit interface.  By tracking Bytes or Bits, then the
graph will continue to make sense.  If tracking Utilization, then Utilization of
What ?  What is the base ?  100 Mbit, 100 Gigbit,

6 - Making those few changes should give you some graphs of your traffic.

Henry Steinhauer