[mrtg] RunAsDaemon -- is this a good idea?

Bjorn Nordbo bn at nextra.com
Thu Aug 24 12:55:55 MEST 2000

After trying to use the RunAsDaemon parameter; I have found that this
is maybe not a good idea. The problem is simply that this controls two
independent functions; it turns on "looping mode"; ie. MRTG does not
exit after the final target, but loops back to the start, and it does
what the parameter says, daemonizes MRTG.

Instead, I feel that this behaviour should be controlled by two in-
dependant paramterers, for instance "Loop" and "Background".

Rationale:

I want to write a wrapper around MRTG that restarts MRTG after it
exits or whenever the config files changes. I can't see no way to
do this without modifing MRTG.

This functionality would be trivial to implement if MRTG did not
daemonize.

Am I lost or does this sound like a good idea? I think I will im-
plement it anyway, but if you like it I'll try to make it nice and
give Tobi a patch... :)

--
Bjørn Nordbø  -  IP Development  -  Nextra Norway