[mrtg] Re: RunAsDaemon -- is this a good idea?

Bjorn Nordbo bn at nextra.com
Thu Aug 24 14:26:30 MEST 2000

Drew Sanford wrote:
> > Rationale:
> >
> > I want to write a wrapper around MRTG that restarts MRTG after it
> > exits or whenever the config files changes. I can't see no way to
> > do this without modifing MRTG.

(...)

> What you're describing sounds like it can be done without needing to
> change MRTG's capability to RunAsDaemon. If you don't want it to run in
> daemon mode, don't enable it, and whatever wrapper you like, can simply
> restart MRTG every time it sees fit.

That would work, but it would require MRTG to reparse its configuration
file for every loop. However, after some profiling I have found that this
is no big gain as the config reading/parsing/validation code is blazingly
fast.

Ok, then this matter is void.

--
Bjørn Nordbø  -  IP Development  -  Nextra Norway