[mrtg] Re: New Idea

Shawn Barnhart swb at cmenoc.campbell-mithun.com
Wed Aug 30 18:14:19 MEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Denis Ahrens" <ahrens at pixelpark.com>

> I use mrtg to monitor some ups devices. The graph shows two straight
> lines in the the range from 230 to 235 volt. What I dont like is, that
> windows shows the range from 0 to 240. I could see the two graphs better
> if the window would show only the range from 300 - 340 or something near
> the minimum and maximum values.
>
> So my idea is a new config keyword, maybe rangepercent.

I'd prefer to see a "MinBytes" keyword which would do the opposite of
MaxBytes.  I think this would accomplish what you're looking for.  By
setting a ceiling and a floor for your values, you'd only show a graph of
what's in the middle.

On a somewhat related note, I've been graphing some squid snmp values and
what's kind of annoying (and this is maybe a squid thing as much as anything
else) is that when no one's at work the values naturally drop to 0, but it
makes the week/month/year averages (and graphs) totally distorted because
the min value is always 0.

My fix for this would be a TimeRange[] keyword which would accept a GMT time
range that the target should be polled.  Once you had a handle on when your
targets generated nonsense values you could omit those times. This would be
trivial to accomplish through cron, although I'd prefer it in mrtg..