[mrtg] updating multiple RRD's

Bjorn Nordbo bn at nextra.com
Fri Dec 8 11:13:50 MET 2000

I have the following problem when monitoring Catalyst 6000 switches:

We want to monitor both ports and VLAN's on these switches. Ports are
a walk in the park, but VLAN's prove more difficult. The MSFC card
VLAN counters are useless as these switches do layer three switching,
and the VLAN counters on the switch itself isn't incrementing as these
are "virtual interfaces" (sic, TAC).

My solution is to monitor ports as before, and generate MRTG configs
that make VLAN graphs by summing up all of the ports in each VLAN.
This is extremely inefficient as I have to poll the switch twice for
exactly the same data.

Another problem along the same lines is when you want to monitor a
"connection" or any higher level entity than an interface. If you do
this on the interface level, the statistics will be lost whenever
the logical entity "connection" moves to another interface. If you
do some trickery to monitor the "connection" instead, you must
duplicate the polling if you want to monitor the interface too.

I have several problems of this type, characterized by the the need
to update several log files (RRD archives in my case) for every
piece of information collected from the router.

Does anyone do something like this, and in that case, how?

Does anyone have any thoughts about how this could be implemented?

--
Bjørn Nordbø  -  IP Development  -  Nextra Norway