[mrtg] long distance monitoring

johnattan c.p. johnattan at ihlas.net.tr
Fri Dec 8 12:40:42 MET 2000

hi all,
i want to ask some questions:
1- we have an enterasys router that has frame relay and atm pvc links over it. bu mrtg couldn't get any graph from these seperate pvcs (mrtg says it has a 0 speed that makes no sense) but only total atm bandwidth (i cannot get any graph from vpns over another enterasys product also). I asked this question to the group before and i cannot get a solution yet... anyway, so i thought to monitor the router at the other side by making a config file for it.
Now the question i want to ask is this: since i couldn't understand the way mrtg works well, i am not sure about what happens after creating cfg file. we run mrtg every 5 mins over that file, does it mean it goes to that router (maybe in another city) and gets data every 5 mins like ping. If it's so, my way is wrong since there will be very bad traffic, is it right ??
2- when i migrate from one server to another, the only thing that i must do is to copy old png files or not  to continue monitoring ??
3- i can give a title at the top of the index file, but i want to be able to give a name in the detailed pages also, must i write manually in every html page ??? Meanwhile is there anyone who knows how to give name to interfaces in Enterasys SSR 600 smart switch routers ???

thanx in advance to all...