[mrtg] Corrupt Log Files

Foster, Russell J. RFoster at Sidley.com
Wed Dec 13 18:08:30 MET 2000

I've had MRTG running smoothly for about 2 months now, version 2.9.1 on a
Red Hat Linux rel 6.2.

About two days ago I started getting messages on just about every device in
mrtg.cfg:

---

Rateup ERROR: /usr/local/mrtg-2.9.1/bin/rateup found [device]'s log file was
corrupt
          or not in sorted order:
time: 976728798.Rateup WARNING: /usr/local/mrtg-2.9.1/bin/rateup could not
read the primary log file for
[device]

---

After making a copy of everything to another directory, I deleted all *.log
files and I get the same message. I then deleted all *.log and *.old files
with same results.

After checking the MRTG docs, I found the section on logfile format and
peeked at what MRTG was creating. Here's a copy of the first few lines:

---

976728800 1 day, 10:52:34                        1 day, 10:57:35
976728800 0 0 0 0
976728300 0 0 0 0

---

My understanding is that the top line of the *.log file should be epoch time
and two numerical values. But some reason, I am getting a line of text
instead.

Any ideas why? The VP misses MRTG's pretty graphs...

---
Russell J Foster
Sidley & Austin
rfoster at sidley.com <mailto:rfoster at sidley.com>

This e-mail is sent by a law firm and may contain information that is privileged or confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient, please delete the e-mail and any attachments and notify us immediately.