[mrtg] Re: maxbytes & spikes

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at MANDTBANK.COM
Tue Dec 19 17:18:50 MET 2000

Well, as some say, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

MRTG is doing exactly what you want.  If you don't want to see values above
X, than set your MaxBytes to X and leave the AbsMax out.  That will prevent
the graph from scaling above MaxBytes.  Or set the AbsMax to something
above MaxBytes, but not so big that if you do get a spike, it will not mess
up the lower values, but you'll still be able to see that you got a spike, unless
they are so big that MRTG just discards them.

Or run the killspike routine after you get the big numbers.

Or edit the logfile, find the offending numbers and change them to
something else altogether.

Paul

>>> Alan Rader <arader at finishlines.com> 12/19/00 10:05AM >>>

I put in the AbsMax in and set it to 2500000.  I have Maxbytes set to 60000.
What I would like is for the graph to only show up to around 60000, since
that is where most of our traffic is, but occasionally we get a spike higher
than that which screws up everything.  Like last night we had one hit
2000.0K, so now the y axis is set to that and you can't read the lower
stuff.  How do I fix this?
I would like to have it always set to around 60000, but no exclude any
spikes when posting the max and average below the graph.

Thanks

Alan Rader
Finish Line, Inc.
Network Administrator