[mrtg] Re: Mib's

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at MANDTBANK.COM
Wed Dec 20 15:02:01 MET 2000

Don,

I tried sending this directly to you but your e-mail keeps bouncing back...

>>> "Paul C. Williamson" <pwilliamson at MANDTBANK.COM> 12/18/00 08:32AM >>>
No problem.

First thing to do is make sure you have snmp running.

Try the bare bones cfgmaker against the server.  If snmp is running, you'll at least get the stats for the nic.

I'm not sure what you're running mrtg on, but on my linux machine, I do:

perl cfgmaker community at x.x.x.x > server.cfg

and I usually get the network card info.  Then I add some configs for disk space and transactional activity.  I'm trying to convince my corporate guys to let me add James Drews' NLM for CPU and other cool counters.  Anyway, I digress...

Once you've established that, put your GWMTA.MIB and GWPOA.MIB in the same location as the other MIBs on your server.  I can't remember exactly where, but I think it's in either public or somewhere around there.  Just do a search for NWHOSTX.MIB and NWSERVER.MIB.  Put the GW mibs in the same location, restart your server and you'll be off to the races.  If you don't have SNMP running on your server, check out Garth's page.  He does a really good job of walking you through how to do it.

Paul

>>> "Donald Pendell" <don at Pennicalgroup.dynip.com> 12/15/00 02:44PM >>>
i am pretty snmp dumb here so i need to load the mib's on the server how do i do that exactly do i just need to copy them somewhere any help would be apperciated ?