[mrtg] Rateup error - "Can't cope with xx, sorry!"

Shawn Barnhart swb at cmenoc.campbell-mithun.com
Wed Dec 27 19:57:59 MET 2000

I'm migrating my mrtg-2.8.12 setup to a new box running mrtg-2.9.6 (both
FreeBSD 4.x) and I'm getting errors when running mrtg against a couple
of machine configs.  The errors are:

Rateup ERROR: Can't cope with 29, sorry!
WARNING: rateup died from Signal 0
 with Exit Value 1 when doing router 'foo.example.com-mailq'
 Signal was 0, Returncode was 1

The config section for this particular entity is:

Target[foo.example.com-mailq]:
extOutput.1&extOutput.1:community at foo.example.com
MaxBytes[foo.example.com-mailq]: 200
Title[foo.example.com-mailq]: foo.example.com-mailq
Options[foo.example.com-mailq]: gauge
PageTop[foo.example.com-mailq]: <h1>Mail Queue Size</h1>

I see this on almost every host that I query that uses UCD SNMP
extensible output (ie, scripts invoked by snmpd when it gets a query for
specific variables), but only on the 2.9.6 mrtg host.  I've checked my
config file and I am loading the UCD-SNMP MIB and I can do a snmpget of
the variables I'm looking for.  "Can't cope with 29, sorry!" at least
indicates that the value is getting passed back (29 was the right value
for that variable).

What does that error mean and how do I correct it?