[mrtg] Having a heck of a time

David OBrien growler at beachaccess.net
Fri Feb 4 22:07:54 MET 2000

I'm using a little perl and stuff to get modem usage from my portmaster 3

the gathering part of the process is done by:

#!/usr/bin/perl
$tot_modems =  `snmpwalk 204.253.18.49 public
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifType | grep 23 | wc -l` ;
$tot_modems =~ s/\s+//g;
printf "$tot_modems\n";
printf "0\n";
printf "N/A\n";
printf "pm3-0\n";

which outputs exactly what it should
25
0
N/A
pm3-0

the cfg file for mrtg has this:
Target[pm3-0.sessions1]: `/usr/local/bin/pmlines.pl`
all the other conf values are correct (page colors etc...)

when mrtg runs it creates the .log file and the .old file correctly

the .log file always has something like the top line always shows the
current usage
949686901 25 1
949686901 0 0 0 0
949686601 0 0 0 0

and the .old file always has the last 5 min usage but the "prior" entries
stay as 0
949686901 25 1
949686901 0 0 0 0
949686601 0 0 0 0

it never correctly graphs or records the past history of usage
any ideas??
-Dave