[mrtg] MRTG optimization and maximal 5 minute polls

lfiddler at us.ibm.com lfiddler at us.ibm.com
Fri Feb 4 22:45:48 MET 2000

I am running MRTG on a 43P AIX 4.3.2 box and can not seem to get the
polling to fall under 5 minutes.  I need to collect at 5 minute intervals,
but it doesn't finish in enough time.  I have tried breaking up the cfg
file and running multiple processes, but this only brought me to a polling
and rateup finish time of 7 minutes.  I have some AIX people working on
tweaking the box, but I wondered if there was a way to optimize MRTG on the
software side to solve this issue.  I am polling about 17 switches with
25-50 interfaces and I realize that this is a lot of device information,
but a 43P surely can handle this.  We had it on an NT box originally efore
that finished in 7 minutes and I know this box is WAY faster.  Anyone run
into this problem and solve it on the software end with MRTG or is there
tweak AIX that could speed it up??

Thanks in advance for any advice....

Lisa Fiddler
IBM Global Services
Network Measurements -- Commercial Internet Team
5600 N. 63rd Street, Mail Stop 024x
Boulder, Colorado  80314

(Outside):  303-924-6290
(Tie/Line): 303-263-6290
Pager:        303-878-0157 or http://www.mobilecomm.com/message
Obstacles are only opportunities in disguise...
Madness takes it's toll.... Please have exact change ready.