[mrtg] Math logic

Jon Rust jpr at vcnet.com
Tue Feb 8 00:44:05 MET 2000

I have a colo taking up 2 ports on my switch. One of the servers is a
web box, the other is the db backend. The db server doesn't
communicate with anything but his web box.

I want to monitor his traffic consumption, but not the traffic
between his 2 hosts. I have this config, but it seems to be coming up
a little off based on my other measurements (I have a route-map in my
7206 forcing all his traffic down an almost completely unused T
(outbound-wise anyway)).

   Target[target]: 12:public at 10.10.10.10 - -13:public at 10.10.10.10

This seems like it should be:

   # net incoming traffic on port 12 is equal to total port 12 incoming traffic
     minus total port 13 traffic outgoing.

   # net outgoing traffic on port 12 is equal to total port 12 outgoing traffic
     minus total port 13 traffic incoming.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,
jon