[mrtg] target issue

Justin Shore listuser at vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu
Sat Feb 12 03:00:06 MET 2000

I've tried the /IP:community at device syntax for monitoring dynamic
ports on our Cisco 3660.  Apparently it doesn't work.  My next
thought (one that I was thinking about in the beginning) was to use a
script to return the correct with a command like this:

snmpget 208.46.69.3 bobbit
ip.ipRouteTable.ipRouteEntry.ipRouteIfIndex.63.237.114.174 | awk
'{print $3}'

At the time of writing this, it returns 217 (the current port).  Now
I'm trying to get MRTG to use that.  I tried making my target this

`that_long command above`:bobbit at 208.46.69.3

But it bitches at me with this:

Bareword "bobbit" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at (eval 28) line 1.
Array found where operator expected at (eval 28) line 1, at end of line

I tried it with quotes around the whole thing. Didn't work.  I tried
putting that long command in a shell script.  Nope.  I modified that
shell script to print the exact target that MRTG wants
port:commmunity at device.  It hated it; I assume it thought that the
external command was going to return the 4 it wanted rather than the
target.  Does anyone know how to make MRTG work this way?  If not,
can anyone help me write an external script to return those 4 blessed
values?  I've written many of those scripts before to monitor load,
disk usage, etc.. but never one to monitor traffic, what MRTG usually
does for me.  I don't know how to work with ifInOctets to get bytes
from that (or do I need to?).  Anyone think of anything?  Thanks.  My
brain is mush...

Justin

--
Justin Shore
K-State Linux Distro Mirror, Sysadmin
macdaddy at vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu
<http://vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu/mirror/rpm2html>
<ftp://vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu/pub/mirror/linux>