[mrtg] Re: FAQ

Justin Shore listuser at vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu
Sun Feb 27 19:56:25 MET 2000

At 4:08 PM +0100 2/27/00, alex at ergens.op.Het.Net wrote:
>Q: How can I monitor <whatever> ?

I think something should probably be said about snmp utils, PC,
Linux, Mac, etc...  where they can be found, how to do basic things
with them, etc...  Pointing them to UCD-SNMP's Tutorial would be
great.  A brief rundown on snmpwalk/get would also be advisable.
Maybe some of these examples should be put into actual confs for the
user to see.  It seems that a lot of what people ask for is anyone
has a conf to do XYZ.  Maybe a few confs to show how to use an
external program (and a sample external program to go along with it),
a conf to show how to use MaxBytes and AbsMax correctly, a conf to
show how to use custom HTML in PageTop, etc....  Not everyone learns
the same.  Some people are audible learners; the teacher merely
discusses something and they understand it.  Some learn by writing
and rewriting; they take notes and rewrite them--sometimes this can
more or less be memorization, not a true understanding (this really
depends on the person).  Others learn by doing; they sit down and
start playing with it and just figure it out or they refer to man
pages that describe how its supposed to work.  And finally, some
people jus learn by example; they take bits of code from assorted
places and alter it to do what they want.  Those people need actual
examples to get started.  To some people its just not readily apart
on how to actually use MRTG and its confs.  Here's an idea, how about
a MRTG Tutorial.  Someone could write up the steps neccessary to
monitor 1 common thing (like port I/O), and make it into a tutorial.
Write it for say Linux first (it seems like most of the MRTG users
are Linux or *nix based).  Once you have the key steps, rewrite it
for NT and any other OS you want.  (you could also give tips at the
end from some of the more proficient MRTG users that would help the
newcomer)  I think that would be great.  Maybe make a 2nd part to the
tutorial that walks you through the same steps for using an external
program or rrdtool  Its a thought.  I think it would help a lot.  If
people could contribute to it, Toby would probably add it to his
site.  I wouldn't mind putting it up on my own site.

Cheers
   Justin

--
Justin Shore
K-State Linux Distro Mirror, Sysadmin
macdaddy at vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu
<http://vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu/mirror/rpm2html>
<ftp://vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu/pub/mirror/linux>

*Internet2 Users*
<ftp://quest.ksu.ksu.edu/pub/mirror/linux>