[mrtg] Re: computer config

Henry Steinhauer H1STEINH at hewitt.com
Thu Jan 6 17:27:28 MET 2000

It all depends - -

-  How many threads of MRTG do you plan to run  at the same time ?
  This is dependent on how many interfaces you plan to monitor.

I have a dual processor 400 mhz Compaq with 256MB memory and a scsi disk.

I had to change some of the registery settings for  NT to allow mor memroy
to be in the disk cache.
This inturn lowered the paging impacts I was seeing.

I have more than 50 threads running at once.

I am still using the older rateup program and have not moved yet to the RRD
model.
Once I move to that, I expect the I/O load to reduce somewhat.

I also have the web server running on the same machine to server up the
MRTG pages.
The response time on the web pages is not idea, but it still is faster than
other methods of getting the information.
  (Nethealth, Netview etc. )

I hope this helps.

Henry Steinhauer -  h1steinh at hewitt.com