[mrtg] combining logs to provide aggregates of usage

Andrew Thompson andrewt at i-way.net.uk
Tue Jan 11 16:02:36 MET 2000

Hi
i wonder if anyone would be able to help:
at the moment, i use mrtg 2.5.2 on a linux box (red hat 5.2), works a
treat. I also use the scripts from
http://buckaroo.xo.com/MRTG/ to combine logs (combine-logs.pl) and the
mrtg_gen_one_gif.pl to generate gifs from the resulting logs. this means I
can get a nice graph that shows how many lines in total i've got in use on
my as5300s.  Anyway, I have built a new box (red hat 6.1) to run stats on.
I have tried mrtg 2.5.4c and this works OK, but I can no longer use the
combined logs to get a new gif, errors below. I tried 2.7.2 and 2.8.9 and
various versions of rateup, still to no avail. mrtg_gen_one_gif.pl  runs on
the individual log file sand produces gifs, but not on the combined ones.
Any ideas why this is ? I've spent 2 fruitless days and nights trying to
get this right.aaaagghhhh !

Here are the errors i get:
[root at stats0 lines-in-use]# ./mrtg_gen_one_gif.pl day ras-lines.log
LOGS: 0
What to do is: day
   3:01pm  up 5 days, 40 min,  2 users,   ::: 5.36, 4.05, 3.86

Values were: 5.36, 4.05, 3.86
about to do dir: /var/virtual-web/stats.i-way.net.uk/docs/lines-in-use
BaseDir is: lines-in-use
About to work with: ras-lines.log
Basename is: ras-lines
Speed is: 7000
Unscaled is: -1
doing dir=/var/virtual-web/stats.i-way.net.uk/docs/lines-in-use,
base=ras-lines, speed=7000
command would be:
/usr/bin/rateup /var/virtual-web/stats.i-way.net.uk/docs/lines-in-use
ras-lines  c #00cc00 #0000ff #006600 #ff00ff l  i ras-lines-day.gif -7000
400 100 1 1 1 300 0
Rateup ERROR: /usr/bin/rateup found ras-lines's log file was corrupt
               or not in sorted order.Rateup WARNING: /usr/bin/rateup could
not read the primary log file for ras-lines
Rateup WARNING: /usr/bin/rateup The backup log file for ras-lines was
invalid as well

PROBLEM: rateup died from Signal 11
  with Exit Value 0 when doing router 'ras-lines'
  If this happens all the time,
  you should probably investigate the cause. :-)

I don't understand why the logs should look corrupt to mrtg and why this
works with my other box. On the new box i'm using perl 5.004_5, on the old
one 5.004_4. I have also tried putting 2.5.2 and the rateup binary from the
old box
on the new one. Signal 11 is sigsegv.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew