[mrtg] mrtg vs rrdtool performance

Bradford Woodcock bwoodcoc at bbn.com
Tue Jan 11 17:52:07 MET 2000

Greetings,

Given I will likely go to rrdtool at some point in the future because it
seems like the forward path I was curious about performance comparisons
between mrtg/rrdtool. A couple points which I have picked up over time from
listening to this list are:

- rrdtool generally performs better
- rrdtool builds the gif's on demand (hence better system performance)

If rrdtool does indeed build the gif's on demand I can see why system
performance would be better. However one of the positives of mrtg is that
the gif's are pre-built and therefore "user access performance" to the
graphs is excellent (albeit with overall scaling limitations).

Could those who have run both mrtg/rrdtool please comment on the comparison
of performance from the "users" perspective when accessing the graphs
between the two tools? Is there a perceived performance hit while waiting
for the graphs to be built with rrdtool?

thanks in advance,
brad...