[mrtg] Re: mrtg vs rrdtool performance

Neil Calvert ncalvert at cabletron.com
Tue Jan 11 18:10:27 MET 2000

>From my (brief) experience with RRDTool and reasonable MRTG experience,
the disadvantage of waiting for gif/png files to load is not really
worth worrying about.

The beauty of RRDTool is that you can generate graphs on the fly for any
date range for which you have data (something MRTG can't - you can't go
to MRTG and ask for data between 'January 2nd 5pm and January 2nd
Midnight'). In addition, simple cron or cgi scripts can be used to
create graphs at 5 minute intervals just like MRTG - so you get the
benefit of quicker polling runs and the benefit of semi-static graphs
like MRTG.

Course, I'm still ploughing through RRD to get it to the point I can
roll it out over a large network...

Just my 2c

Neil