[mrtg] How to fix Router 32 bit counter rollover

Ross J. Ishida ishida at soest.hawaii.edu
Thu Jan 20 04:20:47 MET 2000

Hi,

I think this is an easy one.  (I hope)  :)

When the router hits 4294967296 octets, it resets it's value to 0.  The
problem is that mrtg sees the value decrease and then plots some huge
number.  Sometimes the number is 14.x MBytes/s and sometimes it's 8.x
MBytes/s.  The 14.x is faster than the maximum value of the interface which
is a 100BTX.  Since I am sure other people must reset their routers
occasionally, there must be a way to have it figure out that the counter got
reset.  Is there some option I can use to compensate for this?  I have tried
this with both mrtg-2.8.8 and 2.8.9 and I get the same results.

Any Help is much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ross

|  Ross J. Ishida                 University of Hawaii, Manoa         |
|  Network Administrator          School of Ocean and Earth           |
|  Research Computing Facility    Science and Technology(SOEST)       |
|  1680 East West Road            Phone: (808)956-2558                |
|  POST #820                      FAX:   (808)956-5154                |
|  Honolulu, HI     96822         email: ishida at soest.hawaii.edu      |