[mrtg] Re: runasDaemon

Graeme Fowler G.E.Fowler at lboro.ac.uk
Fri Jan 21 17:54:06 MET 2000

On 21-Jan-2000 Neil Calvert wrote:
> Well, I don't know about that, but I did this : before I implemented
> runasdaemon, I ran a quick vmstat 1 10 and captured it to a file.
>
> Then I changed about half of my MRTG logs to run as daemon mode.
> After a day, I have ran vmstat again.
>
> From the results, my CPU is working harder now than it did before -
> not what I would have expected. (It's not working MUCH harder.. but a
> little. And this is the only change I applied to the machine for the
> 24 hour period).

It may well increase your CPU utilisation (do you have anything else
running on that box?) but I'd be amazed if it didn't reduce your disk
IO. The big hog in MRTG is the time taken to read the config file/write
the data/write the graphs.

Removing one step from disk to RAM is a surefire way of boosting the
system's performance.

Try running:

iostat -D 1

and watch the disk utilization. You might notice an improvement; I
couldn't say as I've not daemonized MRTG yet.

Graeme