[mrtg] Re: Forecasting

Henry Steinhauer H1STEINH at hewitt.com
Sun Jan 23 22:02:30 MET 2000

I would agree with Alex -

It is far from a process where you pump the numbers in and a value comes
out.

BUT - I have found that there are a number of methods that you can use.

Some of them :

1 - Get invovled with a group of people who do this for their company
2- Check out www.cmg.org  ( I happen to be the Regional Chair of the
Midwest Region (MCMG))
     I gave a paper there two years ago on MRTG and how it helps you
understand your systems.
     It is now on the MRTG site under the directory - papers
3 - You can track the number open TCP/IP connection with the amount of
traffic
    This will give you a profile on 'standard' usage.
4 - Knowing the true number of users that could access the connection,
create a Defined:Use ratio
5 - Based on information on hiring - project what the future usage will be
6 - Based on changes in the application that will create more demand on the
server, factor in that increase.
7 - Track the changes over time and see how you do.
 8 - Adjust the interview process based on who is knowing what is going to
happen.
      (different people within the company know more about what is going to
happen than others)

--  Keep refining the process

Present a paper on your work and progress at one of the local  CMG groups.
Believe me, everyone will gain from the work you do.

Good Luck -

Henry Steinhauer - h1steinh at hewitt.com