[mrtg] Re: Bandwidth utilization graphing

Stieers, Ken KStieers at dainrauscher.com
Mon Jan 24 16:24:22 MET 2000

> What I would like to do is graph the total utilization of the
> link on a
> third line in the graph.  Total in & out packets divided by the total
> bandwidth, for a percentage of the link utilization.  How
> might I do this?

MRTG can't do this.  MRTG can only do 2 lines (not counting peaks), no more,
no less.

> The other thing I noticed is that the in and out utilization
> often add up
> to more than 100% of the link - how is this possible?

WAN links are usually full duplex - i.e. for a T1 you get 1.544 mbits
upstream and 1.544 mbits down stream.

> Last question:  The monthly and yearly graph averages don't
> really reflect
> my actual utilization, is it possible to make this a little
> more accurate?
>  I think what is happening is the total average for the day
> is brought down
> by the "off-hours" where there is little utilization, perhaps
> what I need
> is a tool that will store more data.  Any suggestions here?

You're correct in that the overall average is modified by the fact that the
link is unused for half of the day.  To get better averages, you need to go
to RRDTool as a back end.  It allows you to do graphing and data
manipulation based on time parameters, etc.  It also allows more than two
lines on the graph.

HTH,

Ken