[mrtg] Re: Inaccurate Results

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at MANDTBANK.COM
Thu Jul 6 17:09:09 MEST 2000

Sorry, I thought you were monitoring a router or switch of some kind.  Is it possible to monitor the equipment that these cards are connected to?  It's possible that there is a bottleneck somewhere other than the cards you are monitoring.  Were you FTP'ing on the same segment?  Have you tried FTP'ing from one of the 10m cards to the other or vice versa?

Always learning...

Paul

>>> "Jeroen Geusebroek" <Jeroen.Geusebroek at intercept.cx> 07/06/00 10:40AM >>>

>MRTG is just graphing what it is given.  The device you are polling is not
providing accurate information.  What kind of device is MRTG
>getting the data from?  Have you logged into that device and checked it's
information?

I'm using multiple devices, one 3Com 100Mbit card, one 3Com 10Mbit card and
one Intel 10Mb card. All Ethernet.
What do you mean by logging on the the device?

Jeroen

>>> "Jeroen Geusebroek" <Jeroen.Geusebroek at intercept.cx> 07/06/00 09:14AM

Hi there,

I downloaded and installed mrtg-2.8.12 yesterday and i must say
it's a very nice program. I only have one problem; the results
that mrtg gives me are not accurate.

I am on a 100Mbit network, but mrtg tells me there has only been
a max of 364kb/s of traffic. This is not correct, because i was
downloading from an FTP site with 7000+kb/s for about 10 minutes.

I am also using it to monitor other NIC's for example my internet
connection. This also does not show accurate results.

What could be the problem? I am using Linux Mandrake Version 7.0-2.
SNMP deamon is: UCD-Snmp version 4.01

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Jeroen Geusebroek