[mrtg] Re: Inaccurate Results

Arif Patel arif_patel at norampac.com
Thu Jul 6 17:30:40 MEST 2000

MRTG just takes snapshots of whatever it is monitoring ... and graphs the data showing what happened at that exact point in time .. so in order to get accurate readings you would have to maintain the same ftp download speed during every time MRTG "looked" at your device .. you could shorten the time period ― default is 5 min. ― For something more accurate try looking at RRDTools ..

Hope that helps.

>>> "Jeroen Geusebroek" <Jeroen.Geusebroek at intercept.cx> 07/06/00 11:24AM >>>

>Sorry, I thought you were monitoring a router or switch of some kind.  Is
it possible to monitor the equipment that these cards are connected to?
>It's possible that there is a bottleneck somewhere other than the cards you
are monitoring.  Were you FTP'ing on the same segment?  Have you
>tried FTP'ing from one of the 10m cards to the other or vice versa?

No, i'm afraid i can't monitor the HUB (10/100 Switch); it's just a cheap
one :).
I was ftp'ing on the same subnet. Both the 10m cards are in the same
computer, so
that won't work. I did try do ftp from a 100Mbit workstation to the 10 mbit
computer.
I got 1000KB/S with my ftp-client, but mrtg didn't show it.

Strange strange strange. May be it has to do with my SNMP deamon?

Jeroen

>>> "Jeroen Geusebroek" <Jeroen.Geusebroek at intercept.cx> 07/06/00 10:40AM
>>>

>MRTG is just graphing what it is given.  The device you are polling is not
providing accurate information.  What kind of device is MRTG
>getting the data from?  Have you logged into that device and checked it's
information?

I'm using multiple devices, one 3Com 100Mbit card, one 3Com 10Mbit card and
one Intel 10Mb card. All Ethernet.
What do you mean by logging on the the device?

Jeroen