[mrtg] Re: Inaccurate Results

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Thu Jul 6 21:15:13 MEST 2000

I encountered the same problem with one of my interfaces on a server.  The
rx data was accurate and the tx was totally wrong.  I used netstat -ib to
check against MRTG with known traffic volumes.  netstat gave the right
numbers, MRTG did not.  Then I used the uscd-snmp tools to directly access
iftable.  The numbers from snmp matched those from MRTG.  I did notice that
the number for the interface in question was wrong, but all the numbers for
the other interfaces were correct.  At that point I suspected the driver
and discovered there was a newer version of the driver available.
Installed it and the numbers where then all correct.

At 9:27 -0700 7/6/00, Jeroen Geusebroek wrote:
>>Consider too, that the device you monitor must see the traffic.  If you ftp
>>to something in the same subnet, a router likely will not record the
>>traffic.  It will only "see" traffic that passes through it to some other
>>destination and it will see broadcast traffic.
>
>>It likely will not  "see" traffic from a client to a local ftp server.
>
>>If you monitor a hub or switch, you will then see the traffic show up on a
>>graph.
>
>Actually the devices i'm monitoring are the FTP servers, so they ofcourse
>should see the traffic.
>
>Any other suggestions? Am i the only one with this problem?
>
>Jeroen

-- Doug