[mrtg] SNMPv2c

Simon Barnes barnes at gatwick.Geco-Prakla.slb.com
Wed Jul 12 17:50:26 MEST 2000

Does mrtg 2.9.0 pre5 really have all the code to query 64-bit
counters?  I followed the suggestions in the CHANGES file (and I'm
querying a device which definitely supports SNMPv2c) but the log file
still contains 32-bit counter values.  Looking at the mrtg code, I can
see that it is setting $HC but there doesn't seem to be anything which
picks up this value elsewhere in the script.

I noticed that mrtg was understating traffic on high speed interfaces.
In our case throughput on the monitored interface reaches 250Mbits/sec
or more, which causes 32-bit counters to wrap roughly every two
minutes.  So sampling the 32-bit counter every five minutes is
tantamount to graphing line noise.

TIA
Simon

Target[asp-gbit]: -636:public at ge5500:::::2