[mrtg] Re: kMG and decimal .0

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Thu Jul 13 20:57:56 MEST 2000

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000 as108 at daimlerchrysler.com wrote:

> What do the first 4 sections of the kMG option do?  In the example on the
> mrtg site there is n,u,m,,k,M,G,T,P.
> I understand the kilo, Mega, Giga, Tera, and Pico, but what are the first
> 4?  And how do I get rid of the .0 off of 3456.0?

f = femto = x 10^-15
p = pico = x 10^-12
n = nano = x 10^-9
u = micro = x 10^-6 [1]
m = milli = x 10^-3
K = Kilo = x 10^3
M = Mega = x 10^6
G = Giga = x 10^9
T = Tera = x 10^12
P = Peta = x 10^15

[1] The symbol is actually the Greek "mu", but "u" is the closest ASCII
character, and commonly used in text representations.

In typical usage, these represent powers of 10, not powers of 2, so "Kilo"
is a multiplier of 1000, nor 1024.

It's unlikely that you'll deal with numbers larger or smaller than these...

Jay Hennigan  -  Network Administration  -  jay at west.net
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  NASDAQ: NETX  -  http://www.netlojix.com/
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323