[mrtg] MRTG and Sendmail: an example

Vito Maltese Vito.Maltese at CSI.IT
Tue Jul 18 14:27:10 MEST 2000

Thanks everyone answered to my msg about peaks drawing.

Since someone in the list asked me some info about monitoring Sendmail with
MRTG, I post my .cfg that now is correctly working here.

#
# xxxxxxxx.cfg:  Mailstats plotting with MRTG sul server
xxxxxxx.comune.torino.it
# Vito Maltese, 13/07/2000
#

WorkDir: /usr/local/apache/htdocs/mrtg/posta/xxxxxxx
Interval: 10
IconDir: ../../img
Language: italian

#---------------------------------------------------------------
Target[xxxxxx]: `/usr/local/mrtg/run/mail/mrtg-mailstat -m smtp -p 7256 -s
xxxxxxx`
MaxBytes[xxxxxx]: 150
Options[xxxxxx]: gauge,nopercent,growright
Title[xxxxxx]: Statistiche di Sendmail su xxxxxx.comune.torino.it
PageTop[xxxxxx]: <H2>Statistiche di Sendmail su xxxxxx.comune.torino.it</H2>
XSize[xxxxxx]: 500
YSize[xxxxxx]: 200
YLegend[xxxxxx]: No. di messaggi
ShortLegend[xxxxxx]: messaggi
LegendI[xxxxxx]: &nbsp;Ingresso:&nbsp;
LegendO[xxxxxx]: &nbsp;Uscita&nbsp;
Legend1[xxxxxx]: No. messaggi in ingresso
Legend2[xxxxxx]: No. messaggi in uscita
#---------------------------------------------------------------

For non-Italians, "Ingresso" is IN, "Uscita" is OUT.

It's useful to give a look at http://mail.mandli.com/~jrowan/mrtg-mailstats.html
and the contrib directory of the MRTG distribution: you will find some useful
instructions on how to configure your sendmail for MRTG monitoring (you have to
make some modifications to the inetd.conf and services and also add a little
script).

Ciao,

Vito

P.S.
I tried to monitor also bytes IN and OUT of Sendmail but without success. I used
the script provided by J. Rowan (see URL above) with the "-b" option but I see
this error:

PROBLEM: rateup died from Signal 8
 with Exit Value 0 when doing router 'saa31007'
 code was 136, retcode was . If this happens all the time,
 you should probably investigate the cause. :-)

What does it mean?

Vito Maltese
CSI Piemonte
C.so Unione Sovietica 216 - Torino (Italia)
E-mail: vito.maltese at csi.it
Tel. +00390113169010
Fax. +00390113168212
Area Sistemi & Telecomunicazioni