[mrtg] Why does it work as a gauge but not a rate?

Joel Rising rising at disappearing.com
Thu Jul 27 01:32:11 MEST 2000

Folks,

I am using MRTG to analyze some data from an application.
My target in MRTG is a shell script which returns output
like the following:

460
0
0:17:11:40.00
keys003

The first number is monotonically increasing, and the second
is always zero.

When I use the "gauge" option, I get results in the log file,
and a graph that shows the total.  If I do not use the "gauge"
option, the graph always shows zero, and the log file shows
all its entries as zero, except for the top-most, which shows
whatever the current value is.

Any idea how to start debugging this problem?

Thanks!

Joel

-- Type: application/ms-tnef
-- Size: 1k (1536 bytes)