[mrtg] Re: OID for ftp sessions

Drew Dowling drewhead at vnet.net
Fri Jul 28 22:18:47 MEST 2000

At 02:43 PM 7/28/00 -0500, Dan Spray wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I found this site that had current ftp sessions:
>
>http://csociety.ecn.purdue.edu/stats/csociety-ftp.users/csociety-ftp.users.h
>tml
>
>I noticed that they were running WU-FTP on linux.  I was curious if anyone
>knew the OID for this?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Dan Spray

That depends on what SNMP agent they are running on thier linux box.  To my
knowledge most distributions do not come with an Agent 'out of the box'.
Fear not!  I highly recomend you go get the ucd-snmp agent
(http://ucdsnmp.ucdavis.edu/).  I've got it running on a couple of Slakware
boxes at home and about 30ish Solaris (both SPARC and x86) at work.

If you choose this agent you can configure it (via the snmpd.conf file) to
report on process counts.  Since WU-FTP forks a process off for each user
as they establish a connection, this would be a reliable count of how many
users are on the box per poll.  Once you get everything runing and
configured you can use  .1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.2.1.5.x
(enterprises.ucdavis.prTable.prEntry.prCount.x) where x is an ordinal value
starting at 1 for each process you configured in the conf.
Drew Dowling      	drewhead at vnet.net
CTC Internet Services	Engineering
http://www.ctc.net