[mrtg] Re: Realtime

Stieers, Ken KStieers at DainRauscher.com
Mon Jul 31 12:15:23 MEST 2000

MRTG has limitations, the big one begin it (or really rateup) spends an
enormous amount of time doing disk I/O.  With every reading, rateup
completely rewrites the log file.  RRDTool is a (R)ound (R)obin (D)atabase
that only rewrites a single entry with every read (ok, it probably writes
more than that, but you you get the idea).   This makes it much faster that
rateup, which is why some people are using RRDTool under MRTG to be able to
monitor MANY more interfaces.

I'm not sure how suitable RRDTool is to realtime monitoring, but I wouldn't
even bother trying it with MRTG.

Ken