[mrtg] SNMP getbulk and Sun servers

MacMillan, Bruce Bruce.MacMillan at CIBC.CA
Thu Jun 1 19:11:00 MEST 2000

     Hi there!

     I'm having some trouble setting up MRTG to poll my Sun servers.

     I am using Sun's SMC product and using a MIB browsing tool I am able
     to do an SNMP Getbulk to extract information from their MIBS.

     For example:

     OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.42.2.12.2.2.12.6.1 krTotPhyMemAvail can be polled with
     the SNMP getbulk and will return the correct information.

     However, when I try to use MRTG to graph the results it bombs.

     SNMP Error:
     Received SNMP response with error code
       error status: noSuchName
       index 1 (OID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.42.2.12.2.2.12.6.1)
     SNMPv1_Session (remote host: "torws105p" [167.26.40.65].161
                       community: "public"
                      request ID: 953893033
                     PDU bufsize: 8000 bytes
                         timeout: 2s
                         retries: 5
                         backoff: 1)

     I believe this is because MRTG is just using a get, rather than a
     getbulk.  I say this because when I use my browser tool to just do a
     get on the same OID it also fails.  It will only work with the
     getbulk.

     Is there any way of changing this?

     Thanks,
     Bruce