[mrtg] Re: BGP4 questions.....

Tim Kennedy tkennedy at yellowbrix.com
Thu Jun 29 22:23:49 MEST 2000

I know this is a little late, but here I go.

I've never seen anyone use mrtg to graph bgp sessions, but I've seen sessions
momitored with SNMP.  Cisco routers at least have several OID's that
correcpond to the nature of BGP sessions, as well as the ability to send traps
when BGP events occur.

I've seen an installation of Veritas(seagate) NerveCenter that monitored bgp
sessions.  It would count the number of bgp sessions currently active on a
router, and throught the perl extensability was able to keep counts going, and
anytime a session flapped it would alert.

looked like

begin poll
name BGP Peer Table
on_off off
suppress no
base_object bgpPeerEntry
property NO_PROP
begin poll_condition
if( bgpPeerEntry.bgpPeerAdminStatus present  and
bgpPeerEntry.bgpPeerIdentifier present  and
bgpPeerEntry.bgpPeerInTotalMessages present  and
bgpPeerEntry.bgpPeerInUpdateElapsedTime and
bgpPeerEntry.bgpPeerInUpdates present  and
bgpPeerEntry.bgpPeerKeepAlive present  and
bgpPeerEntry.bgpPeerLastError present  and
bgpPeerEntry.bgpPeerLocalAddr present  and
bgpPeerEntry.bgpPeerLocalPort present  and
bgpPeerEntry.bgpPeerMinRouteAdvertisementInterval present  and
bgpPeerEntry.bgpPeerOutTotalMessages present  and
bgpPeerEntry.bgpPeerOutUpdates present  and
bgpPeerEntry.bgpPeerRemoteAddr present  and
bgpPeerEntry.bgpPeerRemoteAs present  and
bgpPeerEntry.bgpPeerRemotePort present  and
bgpPeerEntry.bgpPeerState present )
{
FireTrigger("BGP_Peer_Table");
}
end poll_condition
rate 1
time_unit hour
end poll

The trigger you'd have to write, cuz I can't seem to find it.

Cheers,

-Tim

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Cihan Subasi (Garanti Teknoloji) wrote:

> 	It is out of topic but anybody came accross a tool to monitor BGP4 on cisco routers? We do have bunch of peerings and sometimes routing screws up (BGP) and we would like to monitor which AS is reacheable from which peering...
>
> 	Thanks
>
> Ps: what can we do with MRTG to monitor BGP?

> Cihan Subasi
> Garanti Technology-Istanbul
> Work phone: +(90)(212) 6570404 ext 1426
> Cellular       : +(90)(532) 2211796