[mrtg] Using an external program as a target

Paul D. Walker II pwalker at moody.edu
Mon Mar 6 15:42:21 MET 2000

What does MRTG use the third and fourth lines of input from an external
program target for. I was just tinkering around and got MRTG to plot active
ports in a residence hall, but was only sending MRTG the "input" and
"output" values then EOF. No lines for uptime or name of device were
provided.  The plot is doing what I want right now, so if I am not missing
anything, I am not going to change it.

On another note, there seems to be a lot of questions on here about
monitoring non-snmp data. I can't tell if the question is really:

1) I DO KNOW how to get the data, but DON'T KNOW how I give it to mrtg.
2) I DON'T KNOW how to get the data, but DO KNOW how to give it to mrtg.
3) I am totally clueless as to how to do both.

Those who do know may be more forthcoming with information if the ones
asking the questions could be a little more specific.

Thanks,
Paul Walker

Paul D. Walker II                          Voice:  312/329-4392
Network & System Support Manager           Fax:    312/329-8961
Moody Bible Institute                      e-mail: pwalker at moody.edu
820 North LaSalle Blvd.                    Web:    http://www.moody.edu
Chicago, IL  60610                         UNIX Rules!!