[mrtg] Basic configuration questions...

Peter Bates peter.bates at lshtm.ac.uk
Tue Mar 7 15:23:07 MET 2000

Hello all...

What follows below might be a bit odd,
considering that I've been wrestling with,
installing or tinkering with mrtg for a couple of years now, it seems...

Basically, we have a Cisco 7505 on site,
which acts as our main gateway to the 'outside world',
and I've been trying to get some usable statistics from it...

I've used cfgmaker and produced a cfg file, on the lines of:

Target[x.x.x.x.1]: 1:x at x.x.x.x
MaxBytes[x.x.x.x.1]: 12500000

for a Fast Ethernet interface...

and

Target[x.x.x.x]: 2:x at x.x.x.x
MaxBytes[x.x.x.x]: 1250000

for the actual 10Mb/ethernet
link to our next hop along...
(the x.x.x.x here is actually a
DNS name for the external interface,
as opposed to an IP address and then 'port' on the end)...

However, the graphs produced don't
appear to have much relationship
to the truth (or rather they do,
but the scale is clearly wrong...
we believe we are pretty much maxing-out
the external interface with incoming traffic,
whereas the 'max' at the moment seems to be 2Mb/s...)

I've added these to the config:

Unscaled[_]: ymwd
Options[_]: bits,growright
YLegend[_]: Bits Per Second
ShortLegend[_]: b/s
LegendI[_]:  Bits/s:
LegendO[_]:  Bits/s:

But when I start again, I seem to get
no stats at all on the graphs at all,
but I'm getting:

Max  Bits/s: 339.8 kb/s (3.4%)

Am I missing something?

Thanks for any information/advice in advance!