[mrtg] altering config files to reflect interface change

Paul Nelson pnelson at biblio.org
Fri Mar 10 15:45:39 MET 2000

The other day I was looking at my MRTG graphs and noticed a couple of my interfaces were showing zero after being quite active for over a year.  I finally realized that we had an additional fast ethernet interface added to our router (cisco 4500) a couple weeks ago, and it must have bumped the interface numbers up one.  So even though the other interfaces were showing traffic, they were actually showing it for the wrong site!  Ok, my question is this, I obviously need to change my config file to reflect the new interface number, but how much havoc is this going to have on my logged data.  Will I simply ignore say the last couple weeks of data?  Or should I erase the logfiles entirely and start over (yuck there goes the last year of data)?  Is MRTG going to complain after I change the interface numbers and the next gathered data doesn't match up with the previous sample?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul Nelson
pnelson at biblio.org