[mrtg] Re: lockfile messages?

Justin Shore listuser at vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu
Tue Mar 21 22:18:15 MET 2000

At 3:58 PM -0500 3/21/00, Dan Swartzendruber wrote:
>>How big is that .cfg file you're running from cron?  How long does
>>it take to complete its run?  How often do you run it from your
>>crontab? Odds are that two different runs of MRTG are overlapping.
>>Check the times that it mailed you against how long it takes to
>>complete a run by hand.  You'll probably find out that its
>>overlapping.  Each time MRTG runs with a certain .cfg it creates a
>>lockfile for that .cfg so no two instances of MRTG will edit the
>>log at the same time (race condition).  If one run takes so long to
>>complete that it is still running when its called from cron again,
>>MRTG will see that lockfile and bitch at you.  This could be caused
>>by a slow device on in your .cfg or by having too many items in
>>that .cfg.  If its the later, break it into smaller .cfgs and run
>>it that way.
>
>i don't see how.  it is checking 3 interfaces on one router
>(directly connected to me via ethernet),

Try simulating your cronjob by hand.  Set a timer and run exact
command by hand every X # of minutes (which is another question you
didn't answer) and see what happens.  Also, you never said how long
it takes to complete by hand. ?  What about the times on the
messages, are they sequential (every X # of minutes that you run MRTG
on the cfg) without skipping a beat or are they only happening every
so often?

Justin Shore       K-State Linux Distro Mirror, Sysadmin
macdaddy at vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu
<http://vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu/mirror/rpm2html>
<ftp://vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu/pub/mirror/linux>

*Internet2 Users*
<ftp://quest.ksu.ksu.edu/pub/mirror/linux>