[mrtg] Re: strange problem

Mike Starkweather mstark at primary.net
Thu Mar 23 05:18:56 MET 2000

Marc,

You are probably trying to graph a counter variable.  MRTG takes the change
between the current and previous reading and divides it by the interval
(normally 300 seconds) using integer arithmetic.  A couple of possibilities.

First, if this is really a counter (like ifInOctets) it must have fairly
small values.  If less than 300 over a 5 minute period then it will stay at
zero forever.  Look in the documentation for "perminute" (I think, I do not
have the docs with me).

Or, the variable is really a gauge (like temperature).  That requires a
change in the Options statement to get the correct data type.

Good Luck, Mike Starkweather