[mrtg] how much is too much

chuck chuck at onyxsys.net
Mon May 1 17:28:54 MEST 2000

Does anyone know the point when you can actually bog down a router doing snmp
queries??  I was going to hit our cisco 12000 and ask it about traffic info on
all of our ip addresses.  Because this is a production machine, I really can
just start hitting it with everything I got... I figured I'd ask if anyone had
ever done it, and find out if I needed to do them in different time chunks (or
what ever).

also, is there a better way to find out traffic info about a specific ip (other
than putting an snmp agent on each machine)??  It would help if I could put
another machine on the same segment as the router and have it snoop, or
something.

thanks - Chuck