[mrtg] Re: Alter MRTG Input/Output graph method

Merton Campbell Crockett mcc at TO.GD-ES.COM
Thu May 4 05:32:56 MEST 2000

On Wed, 3 May 2000, Thomas Brian Granier wrote:

> Thanks for the response. I'm aware of the issue with graphic utilization
> for full-duplex versus half-duplex. My primary concern with trying to do
> this is for WAN links, not LAN links. I only have a few links internally
> that are full duplex anyways... most are just a standard 10 MB link....
> what I'm really trying to get at is seeing when my WAN links are going
> over their CIR and when they are nearing their capacity...

Most of my WAN circuits are full-duplex Fractional T-3, T-1, and Frame Relay
circuits.  I have used MaxBytes to define the CIR and used AbsMax to define
either the EIR or full capacity of the circuit.

There is one drawback to this technique in that the utilization percentages
are based on MaxBytes.  Not much of a problem if you only occassionally
exceed your CIR.  But if you are constantly over the CIR value viewers are
confused by the utilization always being in excess of 100%.

Merton Campbell Crockett