[mrtg] Re: TCP/UDP Ports Activity Monitoring

Barry Irwin bvi-mrtg-list at rucus.ru.ac.za
Mon May 15 12:22:51 MEST 2000

On Mon 2000-05-15 (12:31), Aleksey Kasatkin wrote:
> Hi, everybody.
>
> How I can configure MRTG to monitor certain TCP/UDP ports activity (Octets
> in/out)on a Bay ARN Router, so the graph(s) would show the traffic
> distribution on per port basis?

if the router supports it it shuold just be a matter of finding the right
OID, Faling tht you might need to look at some other form of solution, such
as having traffic pass trough a gateway 'accounting' server which could do
per protocol/port accounting, which culd then be fed into mrtg via an
external handler.  I cobbled up somehtign similar using perl and tcpdump a
few weeks ago for monitoring trafic/connection, should be fairly easy to
modify to suit your needs.

Alternitively if you are using a BSD based system you could add firewall
accounting rules on the gateway box and use some of the existing stuff for
graphing ipfw counters. ( http://rucus.ru.ac.za/~bvi/utils )

Barry