[mrtg] Re: Total T1 Usage

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Tue May 23 23:03:51 MEST 2000

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Ed Bonham wrote:

> We use mrtg to monitor our T1's.  The question I have, is do you add the in
> and the out to get the total usage??

You don't.  At least you shouldn't.  T-1s are full duplex.  Traffic in
one direction is independent of traffic in the other direction.

If you really want to do this, you can use an arithmet operator (like a
plus sign) in the .cfg file.  Thee resulting number won't be very meaningful.

Kind of like saying that if northbound traffic is flowing at 55MPH and
southbound traffic is flowing at 35 MPH, traffic on the freeway is
therefore 90 MPH.  It just isn't a number that's meaningful.

Jay Hennigan  -  Network Administration  -  jay at west.net
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  NASDAQ: NETX  -  http://www.netlojix.com/
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323