[mrtg] Re: Why would I not get a response here

Barry Irwin bvi-mrtg-list at rucus.ru.ac.za
Wed May 24 09:13:11 MEST 2000

On Tue 2000-05-23 (10:45), Bill Parker wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> 	Why would I not get a response from the following system?
>
> ./cfgmaker public at 205.199.214.55
> # Add a WorkDir: /some/path line to this file

is this a permanent error ?  Transient errors of this kind can be caused byu
a number of factors, such as intermittant faults on network equipment,
someone plugging/unplugging on your patchborad, or heavy traffic flows and
congestion.  SNMP used UDP for transport, its fast leightwieght , but
suffers from the problem of packets going awol, especially at high network
loads.   Another option is check your comunity strings, is publick valid,
and does it actually have RO rights as you think it does.  (Refer to the
ucd-snmp docs on this one, or the appropriate docs for your snmpd)

Barry