[mrtg] Re: AbsMax Setting

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at MANDTBANK.COM
Tue May 30 17:16:15 MEST 2000

Don't forget that it's peak over a 1 minute average, not peak over an instant.  If, lets say, a download only takes a few seconds, the graphs will show the average as being those few seconds of utilization averaged in with all the other traffic over the remainder of time.  Also, the graphs still automatically scale based on traffic.  I ran into the same problem, because I was trying to display 14 daily graphs on the same page.  To get them all to go to the same scale (ie all frame realy, therefore they should all be scaling to 7000 bytes), I had to set my MaxBytes to 7000, remove AbsMax (was 7000 and MaxBytes was 2800), and put Unscaled [target]: dwmy to get them all to scale the same.  Now I don't see the little details, but I get a very good overall picture of how each circuit is being utilized compared to the other 13 on the same page.

Good luck!

Paul Williamson
Manager of EMS
M&T Bank Corporation

On Tue, 30 May 2000, Calvert, Neil wrote:

> probably the ones where you dont see it, the traffic hasn't gone above the
> MaxBytes setting. You only see the red line if traffic bursts above the
> MaxBytes threshold, at least in my experience.

Its more of a math problem.  From looking at my graphs rather than the code
it appears that the graphs are scaled so the peak volume is displayed at
roughly 90% of the height of the graph.  If the peak traffic volume is
greater than 90% of MaxBytes, you will see the dotted red line; otherwise,
you won't.

Merton Campbell Crockett