[mrtg] Re: monitoring traffic in & out of Linux box

tony bourke tony at vegan.net
Sat Nov 4 22:19:48 MET 2000

> linux doesn't do network accounting on the number of bytes transfered,
> only the number of packets. (at least it used to). You can do byte
> accounting by using ipchains, but it's a little bit more work to setup.

Are you sure about that?  The ifconfig only shows packets, but I've always
been able to get accurate bps (bits per second) with MRTG and linux runing
ucd-snmpd.  When ever I set up MRTG, i usually set it up on the switch and
the server, so I can compare the two.  I'm pretty sure Linux has always
been ok for me, and this is dating back several years.

Tony

Tony Bourke				tony at vegan.net