[mrtg] Re: Log file corrupt or not in sorted order

Isaac Grover isaac at coe.engr.sjsu.edu
Wed Nov 8 19:34:32 MET 2000

Gearoid_King at dell.com wrote:

> Someone mentioned moving to FreeBSD for I/O reliability... would you like to
> share your thoughts on this with me, as I've no exposure here.

Gladly.  =)

First, I have little experience with FreeBSD other than the month or so I've
been running it on our monitor.  (Although the more I sit at the console, the
more I like it.)  I followed the advice of a colleague who, after seeing me run
ext2.fsck every two days, suggested I try out FreeBSD for the I/O reliability.

I had been running mrtg 2.8.12 (default everything, no rrdtool, no RunAsDaemon,
no forking) on a RedHat 6.1 box previously when the corruption started
happening, so I tried the 'RunAsDaemon' option but it didn't solve my problem
because it wouldn't send the error messages anywhere--it would just die
silently.

I wiped the slate clean, started over with FreeBSD 4.1.1-i386, mrtg 2.9.2 +
rrdtool 1.0.28, running everything from cron, and aside from the periodic SNMP
timeout, only a handful of problems have popped up since.

I understand I changed a lot of variables in the process, and I'm not sure
which one was the most significant in solving my problems but I know that it
all works now, and it works well.  With other projects on my plate, I'd rather
deal with a handful of little problems over the course of a month rather than a
handful of little problems every 5-10 mins.  =)

Isaac Grover - isaac at coe.engr.sjsu.edu
SJSU College of Engineering, ECS / Networking
ENG 237, (408) 924-4074