[mrtg] Re: error

Jeff Liebermann jeffl at comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
Thu Nov 16 05:32:42 MET 2000

On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 08:55:19PM -0500, Jim Hunt wrote:
> While I am far from any authority on MRTG, I did manage to write "MRTG for
> Dummies."  In fact, it is done in an NT world!
>
> http://hse.k12.in.us/wok/mrtg_for_dummies.pdf
> See the results at: http://204.180.37.238/mrtg/

Not bad.  However a few comments and suggestions.

1.  I wish you had done it in HTML instead of PDF.  The PDF
screen shots of the text pages are completely unreadable
at any magnification.  The graphics screens are ok for
large fonts, but not text.

2.  The file is 21 pages totalling 2.1MBytes which methinks
is a rather large.  HTML would have been much smaller and
more readable, even with attached screen shots.  If you use
<Alt><PrtScn> instead of just <PrtScn> to grab screen shots
of the active window to the clipboard, you would not have
the clutter of the rest of the desktop that appears on some
images.  I think that the "PrintKey" program you used has
the same feature.

3.  I really like the idea of putting the OID on the web
page and plan to do the same.  No more "what's the OID or
Target line" type of questions.

4.  The Exchange Server "Total Messages Submitted and Delivered"
monthly graph looks odd.  Do you really have 125,000 messages
per second delivered or is there some kind of scale problem?
    http://204.180.37.238/mrtg/mst.html

5.  Methinks the top level menu is a bit crude.  May I humbly
suggest using JavaScript treemenu.  See:
    http://www.cruzio.com/~jeffl/mrtg/treemenu/
The other pages look very nice but methinks you should had
scaled them for 800x600 instead of 1024x768.

6.  The "Return to MRTG Index Page" link on many pages points
to a dead link or typo error.

7.  Methinks the http and ftp user counts should include:
   WithPeak[bleh]: wmy
in the mrtg.cfg as you're actually plotting the average number
of users instead of the peak number of users.

Good luck.

--
# Jeff Liebermann  Liebermann Design  150 Felker St #D  Santa Cruz  CA  95060
# 831.336.2558 voice   831.426.1240 fax   831.421.6491 digital_pager