[mrtg] Re: error

Jim Hunt jhunt at hse.k12.in.us
Thu Nov 16 15:59:22 MET 2000

		-----Original Message-----
		From:	Jeff Liebermann
[mailto:jeffl at comix.santa-cruz.ca.us]
		Sent:	Wednesday, November 15, 2000 11:33 PM
		To:	mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
		Subject:	[mrtg] Re: error

		On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 08:55:19PM -0500, Jim Hunt wrote:
		> While I am far from any authority on MRTG, I did manage to
write "MRTG for
		> Dummies."  In fact, it is done in an NT world!
		>
		> http://hse.k12.in.us/wok/mrtg_for_dummies.pdf
		> See the results at: http://204.180.37.238/mrtg/

		Not bad.  However a few comments and suggestions.

		1.  I wish you had done it in HTML instead of PDF.  The PDF
		screen shots of the text pages are completely unreadable
		at any magnification.  The graphics screens are ok for
		large fonts, but not text.

		I agree and plan to make a very clean HTML page(s) in the
very near future.

		2.  The file is 21 pages totalling 2.1MBytes which methinks
		is a rather large.  HTML would have been much smaller and
		more readable, even with attached screen shots.  If you use
		<Alt><PrtScn> instead of just <PrtScn> to grab screen shots
		of the active window to the clipboard, you would not have
		the clutter of the rest of the desktop that appears on some
		images.  I think that the "PrintKey" program you used has
		the same feature.

		I will also use a better screen capture utility for the next
version.  I had it but didn't have it loaded on the NT box.

		3.  I really like the idea of putting the OID on the web
		page and plan to do the same.  No more "what's the OID or
		Target line" type of questions.

		Thanks!

		4.  The Exchange Server "Total Messages Submitted and
Delivered"
		monthly graph looks odd.  Do you really have 125,000
messages
		per second delivered or is there some kind of scale problem?
		    http://204.180.37.238/mrtg/mst.html
<http://204.180.37.238/mrtg/mst.html>

		This is a message TOTAL from last reboot.  There is a
another page for messages per second.

		5.  Methinks the top level menu is a bit crude.  May I
humbly
		suggest using JavaScript treemenu.  See:
		    http://www.cruzio.com/~jeffl/mrtg/treemenu/
		The other pages look very nice but methinks you should had
		scaled them for 800x600 instead of 1024x768.

		We all run 1024 X 768 at work.  I like that - sorry.  I am
still making MRTG pages and plant to do a better index when I get finished.
I have only been using MRTG for 6 or 7 weeks.

		6.  The "Return to MRTG Index Page" link on many pages
points
		to a dead link or typo error.

		I am trying to satisfy 2 different points of entry to the
site (LAN/WAN and Internet).  I will be cleaning those up.  My typing is
very poor but I will fix the typos....

		7.  Methinks the http and ftp user counts should include:
		   WithPeak[bleh]: wmy
		in the mrtg.cfg as you're actually plotting the average
number
		of users instead of the peak number of users.

		Thanks for the tip.  I am still trying and learning the
options.

		Good luck.

		--
		# Jeff Liebermann  Liebermann Design  150 Felker St #D
Santa Cruz  CA  95060