[mrtg] Re: 14all.cgi speed problem

Bjorn Nordbo bn at nextra.com
Mon Nov 20 10:43:36 MET 2000

Keith McCallion wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Nov 2000, Daniel R . Kilbourne wrote:
>
> > If you can tweak it to run faster, please let me know.....
>
> I was thinking about this the other day. What about storing configuration
> files in a DBM or some other binary format - wouldn't that speed things up
> quite a bit, since you have a unique key (the target name) for each device
> being monitored.
>
> If I had any free time I'd try to whip up a patch to mrtg/14all, but,
> lately time is something that I severely lack.

I thought Rainer Bawidamann implemented this a month or two back, but
I might be mistaken as I can't find nothing about it on the 14all.cgi
pages.

Anyway, I tried this approach for my config files, ranging from almost
nothing to 500kB. The performance gain is considerable, and on a 440MHz
T1 a full MRTG-like dynamic page (9 separate CGI-invocations) for a tar-
get in a 450kB configuration file is displayed in 3-4 seconds. I assume
mod_perl would speed this up another 50% or so when I get around to it.

--
Bjørn Nordbø  -  IP Development  -  Nextra Norway